Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States (other than skin cancer), effecting one in every 123 women in the United States. According to the American Cancer Society, it is estimated that among U.S. women this year, there will be 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 40,450 breast cancer deaths. However, millions of women are surviving the disease thanks in part to early detection and improvements in treatment.
With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we here at Brookside Exclusive Properties wanted to take a minute to remember our friends who have battled this disease and anyone who has supported a family member or friend who has fought cancer. Our hearts are heavy from the loss of our dear friend, Melody Strong Harrell, (pictured right with our friend and breast cancer survivor Forrest-Nikki Jackson) earlier this year.
Fortunately, the five year relative survival rate of early-stage breast cancer is 99%, According to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. That being the case, we cannot stress enough, the importance of supporting breast cancer research and treatment. There are many great events this month where you can show your support for these cancer warriors in the form of donating your time, talent, or financial support. We’ve listed just a few of our favorites.
- 20th Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure – October 1, 2016 (donations can still be made on their website http://komencharlotte.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ )
- 11:Fourth annual Party in Pink for the Cure Zumbathon, 6-9 p.m. at Label, 900 NC Music Factory Blvd. $15. Details: bit.ly/1mGUNeT
- 18:American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K run/walk, 9 a.m. at NASCAR Hall of Fame, 400 E. Martin Luther King Blvd. Details: bit.ly/1pm1YFa.
- 23:Hairwalk Charlotte 2014, 7-9 p.m. at Charlotte Convention Center, 501 S. College St. Tickets $45-$75. Details: hairwalkcharlotte.org
- 25-26:Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Charlotte will hold opening and closing ceremonies at the NASCAR Hall of Fame, 400 E. Martin Luther King Blvd. Walker arrival 5:30-6 a.m., ceremony at 6:30 a.m. Oct. 25; closing ceremony at 2:30 p.m. Oct. 26. Details: www.avonwalk.org/charlotte.
- Also, my daughter Kalli is a member of ZTA sorority at Virginia Tech, and their national philanthropy is Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. Every year, ZTAs around the country devote countless hours to raising money for the fight against breast cancer through education, awareness, and research. “Think Pink” is a registered trademark of Zeta Tau Alpha. Since 1999, ZTA also has maintained a partnership with the NFL. Alumnae and collegiate members have worked with 32 NFL teams and have distributed over one million ribbons to professional football fans across the nation.
Please join Brookside Exclusive Properties in supporting Breast Cancer Awareness. However you chose to give, know that you are supporting and empowering millions of women across the globe. We can conquer this disease if we do it together.