My children have been grown for quite some time but we still enjoy doing activities together as a family! I’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite family friendly outings in the Lake Norman Area. I hope that you get the opportunity to enjoy these places and make everlasting family memories in the process!
- Discovery Place Kids (Huntersville) – From captaining a submarine to creating a masterpiece, little ones can explore their world through rich play experiences that value imagination, fun and learning. The museum offers daily puppet shows, story time and play adventures for children age birth through eight and their parents or caregivers. Whether your group is from the area or visiting for the first time, the Museum provides educational and engaging activities in a unique setting that demonstrates all the things you CAN do with a little imagination. My personal favorite activity play restaurant where kids can try their hand at “cooking” or pretending to be wait staff! http://huntersville.discoveryplacekids.org/
- Catawba Queen Queens Landing (Mooresville) – There is no better way to see Lake Norman than from the water! A family favorite of ours, The Catawba Queen is a custom designed replica of a Mississippi riverboat that offers sightseeing tours as well elegant lunch and dinner outings. Right beside the dock is a miniature golf course and a water-front music venue that offers family fun for everyone. http://queenslanding.com/
- Davidson Chocolate Company(Davidson) – I stopped here a few weeks ago on my Davidson Foodie Tour (see previous blog post) and oh my was this place delicious! They produce a full line of gourmet truffle, confections, fudge and Belgian chocolate brownies, and hand-dipped ice cream. Kids and parents alike are sure to leave with a full stomach (and a sugar high!). http://www.davidsonchocolate.com/
- Lazy 5 Ranch (Mooresville) – In order to truly understand how amazing Lazy 5 Ranch is, you have to pay this place a visit. The ranch is the home to over 750 animals from six different continents and can be viewed (and fed) by horse drawn wagon ride tour or from the comfort of your own vehicle while traveling along a 3.5 mile safari ride. Lazy 5 also offers a petting zoo where you can get up close and personal with camels, goats, kangaroos and more! This is “THE” place I take all of my out-of-town guests, children and adults! http://lazy5ranch.com/
- Carolina Raptor center – The Raptor Center is dedicated to the rehabilitation, research, and conservation of birds of prey including eagles, falcons, ospreys, hawks and vultures. Located within Latta Plantation Nature Preserve, the Raptor Center includes a nature trail which takes you through outdoor aviaries which hosts over 20 different species of live birds of prey. The Raptor Center is also home to a Bald Eagle family which can be viewed on their live feed at any time of day! http://www.carolinaraptorcenter.org/